Postgraduate Certificate in Management (Specialisation)
As an aspiring leader you need a systematic understanding of your organisation and how to effectively deal with complex issues. This Postgraduate Certificate provides you with these competencies and builds a solid foundation for a career in management.
Our Leadership Specialisations
Since leadership is contextual, we offer a series of four leadership programmes tailored towards organisational, governance, human resource, and communication leadership.
- Organisational Leadership
- Governance Leadership - in association with the Institute of Directors (IoD)
- Human Resource Leadership - in association with The Human Resources Institute of New Zealand (HRINZ)
- Communication Leadership - in association with the Public Relations Institute of New Zealand (PRINZ)
Attend an Information Session near you. Meet academic staff and potential class mates.
If you cannot attend an information session feel free to contact us regarding 2018 offerings.
Can you Earn a Qualification?
You can choose to undertake any of the leadership programmes and earn a Postgraduate Certificate in Management in a specialised area. If you choose this option you will need to do assignments relative to the specialised offering.
You can also choose to join the programme as a not-for-credit participant. In this situation you will not have any assessments/assignments and would not earn a qualification at the end. However, you will receive a certificate of participation. We will only enrol a limited number of participants who wish to join this option.
Pathway to a Higher Qualification
Once you have the relevant managerial experience, any of the leadership programmes will enable you to gain entry into Waikato Management School’s Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies and the Waikato Master of Business Administration (MBA). Certain credit exemptions will be granted if you wish to take this pathway.
You must have:
- An undergraduate degree or a professional qualification equivalent to an undergraduate degree*
- At least three years' relevant management experience - this could include people, project or functional management experience
- A CV that outlines your employment history including previous job titles, responsibility and duration of contract
- Name and contact of your direct manager in your last two or three positions (where applicable). We may wish to contact them for verification
- One written referee's recommendation (employer and character)
- An interview may be required.
- Requirements for an undergraduate degree may be waived if an applicant can demonstrate substantial management experience with evidence of relevant tertiary study
- An interview may be required.
The fee for the Postgraduate Certificate in Management with a leadership specialisation covers:
- All papers
- Required text books
- Course materials provided in soft format
- Internet access while on campus
- Access to full-text online databases and University library access
- Access to health and counselling services (Hamilton-based)
The Waikato Postgraduate Certificate in Management is an approved qualification for fees only student loans (visit www.studylink.govt.nz).