MBA application process
To enrol in our MBA programme you need to complete an online application form through the University of Waikato website.
Please read the information below BEFORE you start the online enrolment process.
- Click on the yellow button above to go to the 'Apply to study at Waikato' page.
- Choose either 'Register now' or 'I'm a current student or have studied here before'.
- The first few pages of the application form relate to personal information.
- When you get to the page saying 'What do you want to study?', choose 'Masters' and click 'View Options'.
- You will then be asked to choose your papers. Please contact us for advice on which papers you should select, depending on whether you wish to apply for Part One or Part Two of the MBA, and in which location.
When you get to the 'Personal statement' section of the application form, please answer the following questions:
- In the field of management what do you consider to be your strengths?
Describe a recent situation which demonstrates your application of these strengths.
- Please describe your career aspirations and how your chosen programme will help you achieve these.
- Our programmes place heavy demands on your time. Please describe the plans you have made with your employer and your family to facilitate your study.
It is important that you answer the questions outlined above as this will help us to evaluate your application.
If you fail to provide this information, one of our programme coordinators will contact you and ask you to provide this.
Verified copy of documentation
A verified copy is a photocopy of a document that has been signed by someone in authority, eg. a school principal, solicitor or Justice of the Peace (JP) who has seen the original and checked the photocopy is a genuine unaltered copy.
They will sign, date and stamp the photocopied document with an official stamp, or write ‘Verified original sighted and this is a true copy of that original’.
The following is the documentation required to accompany your online enrolment:
- Verified* copy of your highest secondary school qualification if you have not attended a tertiary institution
- Verified* copy of your academic records if you have attended a tertiary institution
- Verified* copy of your birth certificate or passport plus marriage certificate (if you have changed your name) to confirm your citizenship or residency in New Zealand
- Provide a jpeg (head and shoulders) or one passport photo
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) which should include a name and contact details of your direct reporting managers in your last two or three positions (where applicable). We may wish to contact them for verification.
Supporting letters of reference
Three letters of reference are required for your application. These should be from individuals who can comment on your managerial strengths. One reference should be from your immediate supervisor, one from a senior executive in your organisation, and one from a referee of your choice. Please download a copy of the 'Guide to Referees'.
Once your application has been submitted
Once you have successfully submitted your online application, and included all of the relevant documentation required, we will evaluate it. You will be contacted within 1-2 weeks by one of our programme coordinators.
In some cases, you may be asked to attend an interview before we can make a final decision.
The New Zealand Student Loan scheme is structured so that New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents can access an interest-free loan to further their education (subject to certain conditions).
The Waikato MBA is an approved qualification for the loan scheme, and therefore you can use this scheme to pay your fees.
For more information see www.studylink.govt.nz or contact Studylink on 0800 88 99 00.