Congratulations on your decision to start your journey with the Waikato MBA.
Please read the detailed information below BEFORE you start the application process.
Applications for the Master of Business Administration (MBA) can be completed via the University of Waikato online portal, MyWaikato, at enrol.waikato.ac.nz
All we need to get started is your name, date of birth and email address.
Once you have submitted your online application, and provided all of the required documents, we will evaluate your application. You will be contacted within 1-2 weeks by one of our programme coordinators, Ashleigh or Helen.
Before you apply, check your eligibility for our programmes
You can apply for the Waikato MBA if you have:
- A bachelor's degree, or an equivalent professional qualification, AND
- At least 3 years' relevant management experience OR at least 10 years' work experience in any field.
If you are unsure if you meet these criteria, please send us a copy of your CV so we can assess your eligibility. The requirement for a bachelor's degree may be waived in some cases if an applicant can demonstrate substantial management experience.
You may also be asked to attend an admission interview with the MBA Director (in person or via Zoom), as part of the application process.
You will also need to provide the following documentation:
- A detailed CV that outlines your education and employment history that highlights leadership and management skills or experience.
- Two written letters of reference; one from your employer and the other can be from an individual of your choice.
References should be from individuals who can comment on your managerial strengths, leadership potential and personal character.
Apply to study at University of Waikato
Whether you are a new student, returning student or graduate of the University of Waikato, you will have to complete an application in the student system, MyWaikato.
Whether you are a new student, returning student or graduate of the University of Waikato, you will need to complete an application in the student system, MyWaikato.
Select your programme
You will need to select your programme of study
Using your MyWaikato ID (this could be email address if you are a new student) and password, you will need to select your programme of study and provide any relevant documentation.
In MyWaikato, navigate to - Qualifications and Papers > Start a new application > Find your qualificationDepending on your desired programme use the following details to select the correct programme.
|Type of qualification||Masters Degree|
|Select from list||Master of Business Administration|
- the correct Year and Start Month
- Hamilton or Tauranga based on the location you would like to start studying in.
Next, you’ll be asked to provide personal details, contact information and past educational details.
As part of your application, certain documents are required to be uploaded online.
As part of your application to enrol at the University of Waikato and admission to your selected programme, documentation is required. In the ‘Documents' section of the Qualification Application in MyWaikato, you are required to upload ALL of the following documents (where applicable).
Missing some documents? If you cannot provide or upload the requested documents online, then the University of Waikato or one of our staff will be in touch to discuss this requirement.
The Student Report or Statement helps our staff to evaluate your desired programme application. Create yours in a document and upload this online.
Your Student Statement can be brief but must answer the following questions:
- In the field of management, what do you consider to be your strengths? Describe a recent situation which demonstrates your application of these strengths.
- Describe your career aspirations and how your chosen programme will help you achieve these.
- Describe the plans you have made with your employer and your family to facilitate your study. Our programmes place heavy demands on your time and your approach to personally manage your commitment is important.
Under the Supporting Documents section, upload the following documents.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
A detailed CV outlining your education and employment history that highlights leadership and management skills or experience relevant to your desired programme of study.
TWO letters of reference are required for any Executive Education programme application.
- ONE reference should be from your employer and
- the other reference can be from an individual of your choice.
References should be received should be from individuals who can comment on your managerial strengths, leadership potential and personal character.
The following documentation is required to accompany your online enrolment for identification purposes.
Please upload verified copies of the following:
- Evidence of any previous tertiary study
- Highest secondary school qualification if you have not attended a tertiary institution
- Academic records if you have attended a tertiary institution
- Birth certificate or passport to confirm your citizenship or residency in New Zealand
- Evidence of any change of name such as a marriage certificate
A verified copy is a photocopy of a document that has been signed by someone in authority (school principal, solicitor or Justice of the Peace (JP)) who has seen the original and checked the photocopy is a genuine unaltered copy. They will sign, date and stamp the photocopied document with an official stamp, or write ‘Verified original sighted and this is a true copy of that original’.
Application review and enrolment
All applications are evaluated and the University will be in regular contact to progress your application.
Once you have successfully submitted your online application and included all of the relevant documentation required, we will evaluate it. You will be contacted within 1-2 weeks by one of our staff members.
In some cases, you may be asked to attend an interview before we can make a final admission decision.
If offered a place on your desired programme of study, you must accept your Enrolment Agreement with the University of Waikato and indicate how your fees will be paid.
Once your enrolment is complete, you will be sent information about the next orientation event and other useful resources.
The New Zealand Student Loan scheme is structured so that New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents can access an interest-free loan to further their education (subject to certain conditions).
The Waikato MBA is an approved qualification for the loan scheme, and therefore you can use this scheme to pay your fees.
For more information see www.studylink.govt.nz or contact Studylink on 0800 88 99 00.
Get in touch
For further assistance, please contact our team on [email protected]
Helen Nicol, Programme Manager
Phone: 07 838 4833