Waikato MBA for International Applicants
The Waikato MBA is a highly practical world-class management qualification. It is designed to equip emerging leaders and managers with the skills and capacity to be trailblazers that can manage ambiguity, complexity and the constant changing business environment.
Waikato Management School is committed to developing innovative and ethical business leaders, who are supported by a business school that is focused on world-class research in leading through innovation and responsible management.
The knowledge and experience that our participants bring into the classroom is highly valued. Recognising this, we have built a programme that will inspire, educate and transform our MBA graduates. A strong emphasis is placed on action learning and this style of applied learning ensures practical application of theory and provides an immediate return on investment.
We often hear our participants say, “What I learned today, I can apply tomorrow”, which affirms the highly practical nature of our course content. With our MBA, learn how to lead with confidence, apply innovation and make connections that matter. During the MBA journey, participants shift from functional to strategic management, from specialist to generalist thinking, from local to global perspectives, and from structured to innovative ideas.
Welcome to Waikato Management School and our transformational MBA programme. Join us to embark on a journey that is life-changing.
Dr Heather Connolly
PhD, PgDip (StratMgt), PgCert (TertTchg), BMS (Hons)
Academic Director, Executive Education
Waikato Management School
Top reasons to pick Waikato for your MBA journey
- Core disciplines of innovation, leadership and responsible management are interwoven into the programme
- Triple Crown accredited by three global accreditation organisations - AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS.
- Smaller class sizes means a high level of interaction with lecturers and classmates
- Strict admission assessments creates professionally and culturally diverse cohorts to enhance learning and networking.
- Flexible study options to suit your schedule and lifestyle.
- Programme fees include all study tour costs and teaching materials
International student satisfaction
In the 2019 International Student Barometer, over 90% of our students surveyed who studied at the University of Waikato were satisfied with their experience.
Waikato Management School graduates succeed in international and executive roles
We prepare our graduates to become effective leaders to run any organisation, whether its a national company or global powerhouse.
Waikato Management School alumni are in top international roles and positions such as:
|President - General Motors Company, USA||Prime Minister of New Zealand||Chief Executive Officer - Avon|
Bachelor of Management Studies
Bachelor of Communication Studies
Bachelor of Management Studies
Waikato MBA for International Applicants
For international students who need to apply for student visa, you are required to pay the total tuition fees upfront.
|Total Tuition Fees|
*Fees are subject to change without notice
Additional information about fees
- Amounts are displayed in NZD$ - New Zealand Dollars
- Fees are subject to change without notice
- Tuition fees are inclusive of textbooks and international study tour costs
Applications for the Waikato MBA can be completed via the University of Waikato online portal at enrol.waikato.ac.nz
Once you have successfully submitted your online application, and provided all of the relevant documentation required, we will commence your admission evaluation. You will be contacted within 1-2 weeks by one of our programme coordinators.
You can apply for the Waikato MBA if you have:
- A bachelor's degree, or an equivalent professional qualification, AND
- At least 3 years' relevant management experience OR at least 10 years' work experience in any field.
- Meet the English language requirements for postgraduate programmes
If you are unsure if you have the necessary management experience, please send us a copy of your CV so we can assess your eligibility. The requirement for a bachelor's degree may be waived if an applicant can demonstrate substantial management experience.
You may also be asked to attend an interview with the MBA Director (in person or via Zoom), as part of the application process.
You will also need to provide the following documentation:
- A detailed CV that outlines your education and employment history that highlights leadership and management skills or experience.
- Two written letters of reference; one from your employer and the other can be from an individual of your choice.
References should be from individuals who can comment on your managerial strengths, leadership potential and personal character.
Admission Assessment & Cohort Diversity
Candidates are assessed individually against the programme entry criteria.
Final selection and admission of participants is based on maintaining diversity within each cohort and programme stream; accounting for:
- diversity in industry experiences,
- diversity in academic backgrounds,
- gender balance,
- and diversity in international backgrounds.
English language requirements:
- an IELTS overall score of at least 6.5, including at least 6.0 in the Writing band, or
- an iBT (Internet-based TOEFL) score of at least 90, with a Writing score of at least 22, or
- a B grade or better at Level 8 in the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English, or
- an overall score of C (with at least a C in the Writing band) in the Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes, or
- a PTE Academic overall score of at least 65, with no less than 58 for each communicative skill.
Note: The requirements for a bachelor's degree may be waived if an applicant can demonstrate substantial management experience (five years at CEO/GM level or seven years at functional management level), plus evidence of relevant tertiary study. An interview may also be required.
The Waikato MBA programme is comprised of a suite of 11 papers structured around three cross-disciplinary areas - Frameworks, Leadership and Value Creation.
- EXMBA557 Competing in a complex world
- EXMBA558 Understanding the business environment
- EXMBA559 Financial analysis and performance
- EXMBA560 People and productivity
- EXMBA561 Leadership for growth and development
- EXMBA562 Creating positive disruption
- EXMBA563 Leading transformation in organisations
- EXMBA564 Governance and responsible management
- EXMBA565 High impact project
- EXMBA566 Breaking boundaries - the global business experience
- EXMBA567 Contemporary and future issues for leaders
Triple Crown accreditation & international rankings
Waikato Management School is ranked in the top 1% of around 14,000 business schools worldwide that have earned Triple Crown accreditation status – an international acknowledgement of excellence in business education. Our institution, school and Master of Business Administration programme have all been recognised by various global rankings.
Get in touch with our friendly team
Contact our Executive Education team to receive customised international student admission and enrolment advice:
Phone: +64 7 838 4833 (outside of New Zealand)