Waikato MBA for International Applicants
The Waikato MBA is a highly practical world-class management qualification. It is designed to equip emerging leaders and managers with the skills and capacity to be trailblazers that can manage ambiguity, complexity and the constant changing business environment.
Waikato Management School is committed to developing innovative and ethical business leaders, who are supported by a business school that is focused on world-class research in leading through innovation and responsible management.
The knowledge and experience that our participants bring into the classroom is highly valued. Recognising this, we have built a programme that will inspire, educate and transform our MBA graduates. A strong emphasis is placed on action learning and this style of applied learning ensures practical application of theory and provides an immediate return on investment.
We often hear our participants say, “What I learned today, I can apply tomorrow”, which affirms the highly practical nature of our course content. With our MBA, learn how to lead with confidence, apply innovation and make connections that matter. During the MBA journey, participants shift from functional to strategic management, from specialist to generalist thinking, from local to global perspectives, and from structured to innovative ideas.
Welcome to Waikato Management School and our transformational MBA programme. Join us to embark on a journey that is life-changing.
Dr Heather Connolly
PhD, PgDip (StratMgt), PgCert (TertTchg), BMS (Hons)
Academic Director, Executive Education
Waikato Management School
Top reasons to pick Waikato for your MBA journey
- Core disciplines of innovation, leadership and responsible management are interwoven into the programme
- Triple Crown accredited by three global accreditation organisations - AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS.
- Smaller class sizes means a high level of interaction with lecturers and classmates
- Strict admission assessments creates professionally and culturally diverse cohorts to enhance learning and networking.
- Flexible study options to suit your schedule and lifestyle - combine locations and streams for flexibility
- two locations - Hamilton or Tauranga
- two class streams - weeknights or weekends
- Programme fees include all study tour costs and teaching materials
International student satisfaction
The 2017 International Student Barometer surveyed over 160,000 international students studying all over the world.
More than 90% of the students surveyed who studied at the University of Waikato were satisfied with their experience.
Waikato Management School graduates succeed in international and executive roles
We prepare our graduates to become effective leaders to run any organisation, whether its a national company or global powerhouse.
Waikato Management School alumni are in top international roles and positions such as:
|President - General Motors Company, USA||Prime Minister of New Zealand||Chief Executive Officer - Avon|
Bachelor of Management Studies
Bachelor of Communication Studies
Bachelor of Management Studies
Fast Facts about the University of Waikato and New Zealand
The University of Waikato is ranked in the top 250 in 12 subjects, and as a leader in student support we're a friendly, welcoming environment for international students.
|World ranked: Our university is ranked amongst some of the best in the world in education, student services and overall university experience.||2000 International students: With more than 2,000 international students our student population is diverse with more than 70 nationalities represented.|
|Student support: We’re second in NZ for student support and 46th in world – so you’ll receive individualised support with study, settling in, health and counselling, international buddy programme and careers support.||4th Safest: As the 4th safest country in the world – New Zealand welcomes international students.|
|228 Connections: Connections with more than 228 universities around the world and more than 2,000 industry placements.||Where?: Located in the South Pacific, New Zealand is an innovative nation with a high standard of living and wide open spaces.|
For international students who need to apply for student visa, you are required to pay the total tuition fees upfront.
|2019 Fees*||Part 1||Part 2||Fees incl. International |
Additional information about fees
- Amounts are displayed in NZD$ - New Zealand Dollars
- Fees are subject to change without notice
- Tuition fees are inclusive of
- the international study tour costs (flights, transfers, accommodation twin share & breakfast meal only) in Part 2 / Year 2 of the programme.
2019 International Tuition Fee Allowance - up to NZ$10,000
The Waikato MBA is open to international students in 2019 and an inaugural International Tuition Fee Allowance to the value of $10,000 is available for each successful international enrolment.
- Applications: All successful* programme applications are automatically considered for this allowance. You do not need to submit a separate allowance application.
- *Deadline: To be considered, you must successfully complete an online programme application by Friday 20 December 2019 17:00 NZDT. Applications received after this deadline may not be considered successful and will not be automatically eligible for the allowance.
- Criteria: this is a competitive process and programme admission criteria will apply.
- Advisement: When you receive an offer of admission into the MBA programme, you will be advised of any allowance/award.
Talk to our team to learn more about this funding opportunity.
Applications for the Waikato MBA can be completed via the University of Waikato online portal at enrol.waikato.ac.nz
Once you have successfully submitted your online application, and provided all of the relevant documentation required, we will commence your admission evaluation. You will be contacted within 1-2 weeks by one of our programme coordinators.
To apply for the Waikato MBA, you should have:
- A bachelor's degree, or equivalent (see note below), and
- At least three years' relevant management experience (this could include people, project or functional management experience).
- Meet the English language requirements for postgraduate programmes
Admission Assessment & Cohort Diversity
Candidates are assessed individually against the programme entry criteria.
Final selection and admission of participants is based on maintaining diversity within each cohort and programme stream; accounting for:
- diversity in industry experiences,
- diversity in academic backgrounds,
- gender balance,
- and diversity in international backgrounds.
English language requirements:
- an IELTS overall score of at least 6.5, including at least 6.0 in the Writing band, or
- an iBT (Internet-based TOEFL) score of at least 90, with a Writing score of at least 22, or
- a B grade or better at Level 8 in the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English, or
- an overall score of C (with at least a C in the Writing band) in the Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes, or
- a PTE Academic overall score of at least 65, with no less than 58 for each communicative skill.
Note: The requirements for a bachelor's degree may be waived if an applicant can demonstrate substantial management experience (five years at CEO/GM level or seven years at functional management level), plus evidence of relevant tertiary study. An interview may also be required.
Part 1 – Mindful Manager
- 120 points completed over 11 to 12 months, depending on class stream
- Start February or March 2019
Following on from Orientation, you will undertake eight, 15 point papers
- EXMBA500 Leadership, Power and Influence
- EXMBA501 Applied Strategy & Marketing
- EXMBA502 Strategic Human Resource Management
- EXMBA503 Analytics & Digital Business
- EXMBA504 Economics & Global Competitiveness
- EXMBA505 Operations & Supply Chain
- EXMBA506 Financial & Managerial Accounting
- EXMBA507 Financial Strategy & Markets
Part 2 – Strategic Leader
- EXMBA550 Leadership & Transformation
- EXMBA553 Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- EXMBA554 Governance and Responsible Management
- EXMBA555 Global Business
- EXMBA551 Responsible Research for Managers
- EXMBA556 International Immersion Project
- EXMBA552 Capstone Project (30 points)
Triple Crown accreditation & international rankings
Waikato Management School is ranked in the top 1% of around 14,000 business schools worldwide that have earned Triple Crown accreditation status – an international acknowledgement of excellence in business education. Our institution, school and Master of Business Administration programme have all been recognised by various global rankings.
Get in touch with our friendly team
Contact our Executive Education team to receive customised international student admission and enrolment advice:
Phone: +64 7 838 4833 (outside of New Zealand)