Waikato MBA programme details
- Available in Hamilton or Tauranga
- Flexible, part-time study on evenings or weekends
- 15 papers (240 points) over 2 parts
- Suitable for those with at least 3 years' management experience
- Includes 7-9 day international study tour
- Part One: Mindful Manager NZ$17,000* - starting February to March 2019
- Part Two: Strategic Leader NZ$31,263* - starting April 2019
Full programme fee for 2019 international students is NZ$75,000
- Part One: Mindful Manager NZ$27,065* - starting February to March 2019
- Part Two: Strategic Leader NZ$47,935* - starting April 2019
Additional information about fees
- Amounts are displayed in NZD$ - New Zealand Dollars
- Fees are subject to change without notice
- Tuition fees are inclusive of
- the international study tour costs (flights, transfers, accommodation twin share & breakfast meal only) in Part 2 / Year 2 of the programme.
2019 International Tuition Fee Allowance - up to NZ$10,000
The Waikato MBA is open to international students in 2019 and an inaugural International Tuition Fee Allowance to the value of $10,000 is available for each successful international enrolment.
- Applications: All successful* programme applications are automatically considered for this allowance. You do not need to submit a separate allowance application.
- *Deadline: To be considered, you must successfully complete an online programme application by Friday 14 December 2018 17:00 NZDT. Applications received after this deadline may not be considered successful and will not be automatically eligible for the allowance.
- Criteria: this is a competitive process and programme admission criteria will apply.
- Advisement: When you receive an offer of admission into the MBA programme, you will be advised of any allowance/award.
Talk to our team to learn more about this funding opportunity.
The Waikato Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a life-changing masters programme; custom-made with input from New Zealand business leaders.
It's designed to propel you into senior leadership roles such as general manager or CEO, and give you the strategic insights needed to drive your organisation forward.
The Waikato MBA puts a strong focus on leadership development, as well as general management skills.
You'll gain expertise in best business practices, develop dynamic leadership capabilities, and learn how to implement value creation strategies that can radically transform organisations and the people within them.
The Waikato MBA is internationally accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), confirming this is a world-class business qualification that offers high-quality teaching and content. It was also awarded Tier One Status in the CEO Global MBA Rankings 2018.
You'll be taught by top lecturers with international teaching experience. They are also sought-after business consultants and active researchers, with links to some of the world's leading companies.
Our students enjoy inspiring presentations from guest speakers in industry, and go on field trips to visit successful local businesses.
A real highlight of the Waikato MBA is an international study tour, with 8-12 days of industry visits and cultural sight-seeing. You'll learn first-hand about doing business in offshore markets, visit blue-chip companies and meet their CEOs, and see how global business theories work in practice.
There are 15 papers in the MBA programme, which are taught in two parts over two or three years.
Part One of the MBA, Mindful Manager, provides a holistic view of management. You'll discuss everything from strategic thinking and leading high-performance teams, through to digital business technologies, global competitiveness, and financial analysis.
For the integrative case study, you'll work in teams to develop a strategy for a real organisation, and receive feedback from the company's CEO or a senior manager.
Part Two of the MBA, Strategic Leader, lifts your gaze to higher goals and asks whether you belong at the boardroom table. Topics include leadership and transformation, innovation and value creation, responsible management and corporate finance. Then you'll apply what you've learnt to your own organisation through a capstone research project.
Personal leadership development
Personal leadership development is an important focus of the Waikato MBA.
You'll gain a deeper understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses as a leader through a tailored programme of personal development. This will include evaluations related to emotional intelligence, personality type, team roles and 360-degree feedback.
Complementing this will be a one-on-one leadership clinic to discuss your needs and prepare an action plan.
You'll also be asked to nominate a mentor for the duration of the programme, who will act in a support role. He or she can be a senior manager in your own workplace, or in another organisation.
Waikato has a world-class reputation
The Waikato MBA is internationally accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), confirming this is a world-class qualification that offers high-quality teaching and content.
You'll study at Waikato Management School, which has Triple Crown Accreditation from EQUIS, AACSB and AMBA since 2005. This is a global benchmark of excellence in teaching and research, achieved by less than 1% of the world's business schools.
The Waikato MBA was awarded Tier One Status in the CEO Global MBA Rankings 2017.
See more details about the University of Waikato's global rankings.
Course study options
Enjoy the flexibility to study part-time while you work, with classes offered in Hamilton or Tauranga.
Classes start in February, March or April, depending on which option you choose:
Hamilton - Part One: Mindful Manager
- Option 1: Every Monday and Thursday 6pm - 9pm. One year, starting February.
- Option 2: Alternate weekends; Friday 2pm - 6pm and Saturday 8.30am - 5pm. One year, starting March.
- Option 3: Every Monday 6pm - 9pm. Two years, starting February.
Tauranga - Part One: Mindful Manager
- Alternate Saturdays, 8.30am - 5pm. Two years, starting February.
Hamilton - Part Two: Strategic Leader
- Alternate Fridays 2pm - 6pm and alternate Saturdays 8.30am - 5pm. One year, starting April.
Our lecturers and teachers are experts in their fields. Not only are they active researchers, they also work directly with organisations in New Zealand and internationally as consultants and advisors. This means they bring international practice-relevant research into the classroom, which will challenge participants to think outside their current framework.
The teaching style of the Waikato MBA programme is engaging and participative. Our classroom discussions provide a ground for rich experiences where our participants share their ideas and are challenged by intelligent classmates from a variety of professional backgrounds.
You can apply for Part One of the MBA if you have:
- A bachelor's degree, or equivalent (see note below), and
- At least three years' relevant management experience (this could include people, project or functional management experience).
Note: The requirements for a bachelor's degree may be waived if an applicant can demonstrate substantial management experience (five years at CEO/GM level or seven years at functional management level), plus evidence of relevant tertiary study. An interview may also be required.
You can apply for Part Two of the MBA if you have:
- Completed Part One of the MBA with a B grade average; or
- Completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies with a B grade average
- OR have completed a Bachelor of Management Studies with Honours with a B+ grade average
- Have failed no more than one paper in Part One of the MBA or the PGDipMgtSt.
How to apply
To enrol in our MBA programme you will need to complete an online application form.
You'll need to provide the following documentation:
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
- A personal written statement
- Two written letters of reference
- Verified copies of your academic record or highest qualification
In some cases, you may also be asked to attend an interview before we can make a final decision.
Click here for full details about the application process for the MBA.